VAXen at home

Arno Kletzander Arno_1983 at gmx.de
Fri Oct 19 01:49:55 CDT 2007

Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
> woodelf wrote:
> > Dave McGuire wrote:
> >
> > >   If one is wearing a tie whilst working on big computers, one
> > > probably deserves it!
> > Did not IBM tech's have to wear one?
>
> Yes.  Usually with a tie-clip holding it against the shirt.
>
> Peace...  Sridhar

And the clip specified to be "non-conductive" in the safety precautions preface of the CE manuals, as I remember from those of our 4331.

BTW (@Sridhar and to bring this back to the subject topic): I got that VSII to boot a NetBSD installation kernel by using a SPARCclassic with NetBSD as MOP server so it kind of works now, but it's of course not as nice as having a MOP daemon run on one of my windoze machines that I keep around anyway. (We already had that argument back when I looked for a RARP server to netboot my Suns, IIRC.) Then again, next thing I'd need is an NFS server for windoze which has some idea of representing unix-style links in a VFAT system, which tgpnfs does not.

The netboot only worked after I removed the GPX framebuffer boards. Otherwise, the machine would again try all of the POST countdown after I typed "b xqa0" at the chevron prompt and get stuck at "A", not sending out its MOP request. Another nit in the boot code...why not "remember" to use the serial console and skip the framebuffer test if it was activated by a "Break" during the boot process?

Its RD53 seems to have bigger problems than just a sticky bumper, I got it to rev up once and immediately tried to start a NetBSD install on it, but was rewarded with lots of "soft errors". I'll have a friend of mine try to low-level it on his VS2000. Ifff that takes care of the problem, where would I get an additional frontpanel insert for it (the pushbutton thing)?

TIA, so long,
Arno