Alternative Hardware Design for Floppy Interface

e.stiebler emu at e-bbes.com
Sat Oct 20 12:00:09 CDT 2007

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> While a 50MHz processor may seem fast, a 400MHz 32-bit CPU can
> probably run Z80 emulation faster, while hosting Linux.

Sorry, I don't care if it runs linux or windows.
(which actually defeats the purpose of being easily programmed)
I was thinking about a small controller, which does the job.
Nothing else, but does the job right.
I don't need USB/Ethernet and all this BS. If I need the data written or
read from a valuable floppy, I can wait a minute to transfer it via V24
which most computers have. (Please don't kill me for this "most").

So, something like a z80 derivate (free compiler & tools !!!), some
sram/flash + fdc. probably a connector with all CPU signals in case
somebody likes to wire up something different (fpga, WD fdc, Intel FDC,
whatever). And already the connectors to access 8", 5.25" and 3.5"
floppies. That's it. Two or four layers, square and done.

Just my 0.0000000006 $