IBM junk

Arno Kletzander Arno_1983 at gmx.de
Tue Oct 23 04:55:51 CDT 2007

ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk (Tony Duell) wrote:

> > The 5182 is a dot matrix printer with a four color ribbon. Kludge on a
> > stick.
> Thet idea was not uncommn at the time. DEC made one called the 'LA324'
> which could take a colour ribbon and mechanically shifted it up and down
> to change colour. I also rememebr using an Epson printer in the mid
> 1980s that could take a 'colour kit' which was a motor + mechanical bits
> to tilt the ribbon.

The NEC CP6 and CP7 printers (colour variants of the P6/P7) also used such an arrangement - wheels sliding along profiled shafts and small toothed belts to change the height of the ribbon guide on the printer carriage by means of a stepper motor mounted on the chassis. I had the "fun" of repairing a broken guide bridge on mine (had to fit a reinforcement under the crack and reassure it didn't bind or collide with anything).

So long,

--
Arno Kletzander
Stud. Hilfskraft Informatik Sammlung Erlangen