Reviving DEC RX01 power supply

J Blaser oldcpu2 at rogerwilco.org
Sun Sep 2 21:10:40 CDT 2007

I've got a H771-A (120V/60Hz) that's acting up on me.  Part
of an old PDP-11/03 that I'm trying to get back on its feet.
As I've done with 4 or 5 other RX units in the past couple
of years, after cleaning it up and reforming the capacitors,
but before plugging everything together, I wanted to check
output voltages.  I'm sure glad I did because this guy is
not normal!

Where you usually see 24V, I'm getting 42V!  And the so-
called 'Raw DC' which is normally around 10V is 17V.  At
least the +/-5V lines are more or less correct at +5.1V and
-5.3V, respectively.

I need some help here.  I've checked the printset on this,
and frankly, this analog stuff is so much voodoo (to me).
I get lost pretty quickly unless the circuit is simple,
say, like a flashlight.  Anyway, I've checked a number of
voltages and voltage drops at various places[1] that I
thought might lead me to something, but I can't say that
I'm any wiser now.  I'm sure this is fixable, even by me,
IF I can locate out the faulty component(s).

Hints or guidance on what else I should look at would
surely be appreciated!

- Jared

[1] Here are voltage readings taken at a few locations:

- Transformer outputs (these look normal):
   blue: 27.8VAC
   purple: 11.2VAC

- PCB connector P1:
   2 (blu): -5.3v