UX, AIX, FLAYX...

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Mon Sep 3 16:12:09 CDT 2007

On Monday 03 September 2007 13:50, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 01/09/07, Chris M <chrism3667 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >  I know nothing about AIX or it's associated hardware
> > (oh ok I know it's made by IBM). I know little more
> > about HP-UX. All I know is I want a box/boxes I can
> > run this stuph on. This is a continual plea and the
> > cry of my heart :(. I know there's some of this stuph
> > out there for me. Question is how do I get it. Thus I
> > turn to y'all. Please help. Please...
>
> I've been offered 2 or 3 free RS/6000 machines over the years. Turned
> 'em down - not exotic or inherently interesting enough to pique my
> collecting urge.

POWER is an inherently interesting processor architecture (especially
the 6-chip versions), and the machines are built like a tank - even the
models with a plastic case are practically bulletproof.  POWER is
amazingly zippy for the relative clock speed, especially for floating
point ops...

And, AIX, well, if you've ever tried to admin an AIX box, I don't see
how you could say it wasn't "unique" especially among UNIX variants.

Pat