8k Mac development environments

Jeff Walther trag at io.com
Wed Sep 5 08:56:09 CDT 2007

> Message: 16
> Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 19:36:41 -0700
> From: Josh Dersch <derschjo at msu.edu>
> Subject: 68k Mac development environments

> I'm looking to do a bit of (simple) development targeting a 68k Mac (or
> two, or three, or six...) and since I've never done any programming on a
> Mac before I'm curious if anyone out there has any recommendations for a
> development environment to use or to avoid.  I'd prefer C/C++, but I'm
> flexible :).  I'd like to be able to run my code on a Mac Classic/SE (so
> I need to be able to compile to 68000 code) but I'll be doing the
> development itself on a IIfx.

You might look around for a copy of Think C 5.x by Symantec (It's on 4
floppies).  It had a great reputation in its day and  some of the learning
books used examples which were based on Think C's IDE.   Later, they based
their examples on Codewarrior, but Codewarrior arose around the time of
the PPC era, so Think C is probably the better choice.  I'm pretty sure
that early Codewarrior included the ability to compile for 68000, but I'm
not certain and if you're developing on the IIfx, Codewarrior might be a
bit cycle hungry.

Jeff Walther