A frightening little bit of technology

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Sep 6 15:30:29 CDT 2007

On 6 Sep 2007 at 12:35, Chris M wrote:

>  Many quality branded disks could "double up" on the
> density. I couldn't believe it when a friend told me
> that for quads he was using regular DD floppies. Yeah
> back then floppies were big business I guess, and in
> order to avoid a bad name, they were over engineered.

Let's be clear here--I interpret 5.25 DD to be 360K (250K data rate
at 300 RPM) at 48 tpi.  And "quad" to me is the same data rate but
narrower tracks for 96 tpi and 720K.  AFAIK, the only difference
between DSDD and DSQD was the supposed certification provided by the
mnaufacturer.  I never found any difference at all.

Cheers,
Chuck