power brownout logger?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 19:22:01 CDT 2007

On 9/6/07, Richard <legalize at xmission.com> wrote:
> OK, my power company sucks.  I have brownouts and power outages all
> too frequently.  Yet when I look at the statistics recorded by the
> public utilities commission, it seems obvious to me that they aren't
> showing an accurate record of what happens at my house.

Unsurprising.

> So I'm looking for a device (I'm fairly certain I've seen these
> before) that I plug into a wall outlet and it keeps a log of voltage
> sags, brownouts and outages.
>
> Any suggestions?

I've used this one...

http://www.tequipment.net/FlukePowerQualityVOLT.html

You'll need a Windows PC to run their EventView app.  I'd always
intended to stick a serial analyzer between the PC and the VR101S, but
I didn't happen to have an HP 4951 on hand, and I never got around to
building a 2-serial-port box with some serial tracing app.  I
_suspect_ it wouldn't be difficult to write a simple C app to dump the
VR101S to a comma-separated-value file (as EventView will do upon
request), but I didn't happen to take those thought to conclusion.

-ethan