68k Mac development environments

Josh Dersch derschjo at msu.edu
Fri Sep 7 00:46:13 CDT 2007

Liam Proven wrote:
> On 05/09/07, Josh Dersch <derschjo at msu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi all --
>>
>> I'm looking to do a bit of (simple) development targeting a 68k Mac (or
>> two, or three, or six...) and since I've never done any programming on a
>> Mac before I'm curious if anyone out there has any recommendations for a
>> development environment to use or to avoid.  I'd prefer C/C++, but I'm
>> flexible :).  I'd like to be able to run my code on a Mac Classic/SE (so
>> I need to be able to compile to 68000 code) but I'll be doing the
>> development itself on a IIfx.
>>
>> In case you're interested, I'm writing the software to build a clock of
>> sorts out of a set of six "classic" form factor Macs I have lying around
>> (two Classics, two SEs and two SE/30s).  Each computer will display one
>> digit of the time, and will be synchronized over an Appletalk network to
>> keep the system times in sync.  Or so goes the theory.  Figure it'll be
>> a fun display to have set up, and a somewhat interesting use for some
>> otherwise-idle Macintosh hardware :).
>>

> That is a really cool idea, which I like a lot.
>
> I am sure you're aware of it, but it instantly brought to mind the
> story of Jamie Zawinski's Dali clock and getting it running on various
> elderly Macs...
>
> http://www.jwz.org/gruntle/dali.html

Thanks for the vote of support :).  I think most of the code should be
dead simple but I'm not sure how the time-sync networking portion's
going to go.  I also need to pick up some serial Appletalk cabling; the
SEs and the SE/30s have ethernet cards, but the Classics are
unexpandable and thus do not.  Maybe I can just find some more SEs to
use :).

I hope to get most of the work done this weekend, assuming nothing
interrupts me... ha ha ha.

And I have a copy of the original Mac Dali clock on one of my macs...
somewhere :).

- Josh