Fwd: [Electronics_101] On this day

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Sep 14 11:49:29 CDT 2007

On 14 Sep 2007 at 12:16, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:

> I often wonder about the process that lead to the design of the drive.  I can
> picture a couple of engineers sitting mulling over the problem over a few
> beers, trying to get more capacity out of their disks.  One gets up to go and
> get a round in, and decides to go stick something on the jukebox...

Or even the orientation of the disk stack.  Ramac used a vertical
axis of rotation, but the old Bryant disks were horizontal.  The same
distinction appears with drums--some horizontal, some vertical.

For the mechanical engineering types out there:  are there distinct
advantages of one over the other?  In particular, I recall the big
Univac Fastrand horizontal drums ran into big problems when subjected
to vibration from heavy vehicle traffic.

Cheers,
Chuck