EPROM Erasers?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Sep 16 15:08:21 CDT 2007

On Sep 16, 2007, at 10:02 AM, jim wrote:
>> <snip>
>>   And every eraser I've seen on a professional's bench had either
>> bare metal or a sheet of mylar on the floor.
>>
>>   I just got a Data IO 29B from a friend, so I asked the guys at
>> MC Howard where to get a good cheap eraser. Mel just said "Barber
>> Supply".  He says for hobby work, the barbers' UV sterilizers work
>> great.
>
> I'd watch that whatever the pins set on is conductive.  I think you
> can get some static effects if you don't have conductive materials
> in the thing.  I had one that was made in a black plastic bread
> box, and it had conductive foam to park the parts in.
> If you get a unit that isn't an eraser as suggested in other parts
> of the thread that is all I'd watch.  Make sure that the other
> units have metal to set the parts on, since a barber shop
> sterilizer may have glass or such, and not metal.

   This is very true.  EPROMs store their bits in "floating gates",
which are conductive areas which are totally surrounded by an
insulating material.  Exposure to UV light causes that insulating
material to become partially conductive, allowing the charge to drain
from the floating gate...and that charge has to GO somewhere.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL