Subject: Re: 8-bitters and multi-whatever

Sun Sep 16 22:16:42 CDT 2007

> Then let's go a step further. When/where did the first
> internetworking gear come onto the market?  Not multi-protocol
> routing, just routing in general: segmented networks with nodes that
> moved traffic towards remote nodes on the behalf of local ones.

My first reaction was "doesn't UUCP fit?", as someone else alluded to.
But really, doesn't the postal system fit, with traffic being mail and
nodes being sorting offices?  Or, for that matter, any large shipping
concern, such as the Dutch, the Spanish, the English, at suitable
points in history?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca