Unknows S-100 System

Holger Veit holger.veit at iais.fraunhofer.de
Mon Sep 24 14:06:34 CDT 2007

Chuck Guzis said:
> On 23 Sep 2007 at 9:12, Allison wrote:
>
>>> What I wrote something similar I used the word "most" as I knew
> there was
>> some CP/M software that required z80.  However from a business user

> We ran into a few vertical apps that required Z80--and I think one of
> the better word processors (maybe a late Spellbinder?) required a
> Z80.  BASIC dialects were different enough back then (and today) that
> an application written with a specific Z80 BASIC in mind would get
> you into trouble with an 8085.

Although not strictly CP/M (however easily adapable to CP/M), 12k TDL
"Zapple" BASIC used even undocumented Z80 instructions, namely the ones
dealing with IXH/IXL/IYH/IYL index reg bytes quite a lot. Was very
surprising to me when I disassembled that interpreter long time ago, but
then, the Z80 is reasonably structured to infer the actual function from
the unknown op codes found.

--
Holger