Does anyone have a SGI Onyx 10000 RealityEngine2?

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Tue Sep 25 14:54:16 CDT 2007

On 25/09/2007 18:54, Gerhard Lenerz wrote:
> Tuesday, September 25, 2007, 6:18:52 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Think carefully about deracking the Onyx 10K.  It has special
>> compression connectors that are very susceptible to small amounts of
>> dirt

> In case of the Onyx2 you are right, the boards containing compression
> connectors (CPU and GE) need to be handled with special care. On the
> other hand I'd expect an Onyx2 to be easier to move as the system
> modules should come out of the rack much easier (AFAIK they aren't
> much different from the core of a deskside), but maybe I'm mistaken.

Indeed -- the compression connectors are on the individual CPU and GE
cards (and on I/O cards, but a different size), but the modules can be
easily removed from the racks.  I've moved my rackmount Origin2000
several times, and each time I've found it best to remove the power
supply from each module, because that's the heaviest part, and easy to
remove.

The modules used in a rackmount O2K/Onyx2 are identical to the one used
in a deskside.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager