Setting up a VAXstation

Jason T silent700 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 10:36:35 CDT 2007

On 9/30/07, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this likely to be correct? That a 3100/38 won't be able to boot
> from CD? If it can, what sort of CD-ROM drive will I need? Do I need
> the special 512KB block support that SPARCstations are supposed to
> need? I have an old external Apple drive (CD300, I think) that I hope
> will do, if I can come up with the right permutations of SCSI cables
> to connect it...

My 3100/30 boots fine off the Hobbyist VMS disc using my
boots-anything Apple CD300 (aka Sony) drive.  It's the one with the
removable trays, not built-in.  That drive has booted all the Vaxen,
SGI, Suns and NeXT machines I have.  Painfully slow, but does the job.

Some DEChead can correct me on this, but I believe that's also the
same drive in DEC's RRD42 as well.

--
jht