HP-1000 HP-IB / GP-IB IEEE-488.2, etc

Bob Shannon bshannon at tiac.net
Mon Apr 7 18:24:16 CDT 2008

To use HPIB mass-storage on an HP 1000 you should be using the 12821A
interface, not
the 59310B.

12821A interfaces are quite common, I have several extras.

The 59310 interface is for general instrumentation use.
The 12821A interface is electrically very different, at both ends!

The 12821 interface is 'pre-loaded' with termination resistors that
limit the number of devices and cable lengths allowed, and its setup
for DMA (DCPC) transfers at high speed, using FIFO buffers.

The 59310 interface is pure IEEE-488, designed for programmed
I/O.  In fact it takes quite a few machine language instructions to push
a single byte down the bus.  Fast, it is not.

Can you drive your floppy from the 59310?  Yes, its possible.

I once tried to control general instruments using the 12821 (its much
easier to program), but ran into electrical issues with the pre-loading,
etc.

As for cables, the 12821A cable has a massive ferrite core and a
grounding lug that the 59310 cable does not have.  But I believe that
the two cables are electrically compatible.

I know I have a 12821A cable that was cut, and a replacement connector.
(if your up to building your own)

I would strongly recommend you try to use the 12821A interface with your
floppy, you might find that the 'CS/80' boot loader rom supports that drive.
If so, the loader ROM will only work with the 12821A board, not the
59310B.

I can also point you towards low-level driver code for both the 59310B
and the 12821A interface boards.

HP-IPL/OS fully supports the 59310 interface for instrument control.
It should not be too hard to write IPL code to talk to your floppy disk
drive and debug the thing from high-level code.

12821A code support is not currently in HP-IPL/OS, but I do have tested
and working low-level code for CS/80 disks that could be patched into
a working CS/80 disk driver, and at that point IPL would have 12821A
support all the way up to a crude DOS and file system.