Seeking Xceed Color30 card

Robert Borsuk rborsuk at colourfull.com
Sat Apr 12 21:05:59 CDT 2008

On Apr 12, 2008, at 5:57 PM, Jeff Walther wrote:

> Actually, that project was just to clone the Grayscale adapter card.
> It did not include the frame buffer main card.   The main card was
> based on a custom chip by Micron--not an FPGA unfortunately.   So
> the chances of cloning it without having to redesign the bulk of the
> logic is nill.
>
> Now, it really shouldn't be that hard to whip something up with an
> FPGA and either some fastish SRAM or an open core DDR2 controller
> and one DDR2 memory chip.    However, figuring out all the ins and
> outs of properly interfacing to the Mac OS of the time has had me
> slowed and stopped for a while.   It's probably not all that
> difficult, but it is tedious and there is a lot of information to
> sort through.  One of the hardest parts is knowing which information
> I actually need. For every useful tidbit I find, I've gone through
> 20 chunks of old Mac knowledge which don't apply but were in the way.
>
> Jeff Walther

Previous blank email was a whoops.  Let me first start by saying that
I'm sorry Jeff and Teo, I've got your stuff and have been bad about
sending it out.  I have all the design info on the Xceed SE/30
card(s).  Including my original source code for the roms, schematics,
and yes (here's the big one) I have the design files for the custom
asic.  There were two or three variations of the asic.  Two of them
were for the SE/30 while another variation was for the Nubus cards.
On the SE/30 cards, we also used (if I remember right) a couple of
pals to help out with timing on the card.  I'll get this info out this
week so maybe Jeff can get busy with his design.

Rob