A good real terminal

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at usap.gov
Wed Apr 16 18:01:11 CDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 03:05:46PM -0700, Eric Smith wrote:
> Ethan wrote:
> > It was tough getting the
> > old EIA chips out to mount sockets (must have had heavy copper
> > inner layers on the mainboard PCB),
>
> I haven't repaired any VT100 or VT220 termainals, but in general I've
> found that removing dead parts from boards like that is easiest if you
> remove the part with diagonal cutters first, then desolder the pins
> individually.

That is an excellent technique, and I don't recall having real problems
lifting the pin from the Vcc or GND holes (signal pins are easy) - I
recall having problems getting the power through-holes clean enough to
install a socket.

I think I had to resort to heating one side of the board and sucking the
solder from the other side - much easier with the board in a vise.

-ethan

--
Ethan Dicks, A-333-S     Current South Pole Weather at 16-Apr-2008 at 22:50 Z
South Pole Station

Ethan.Dicks at usap.gov            http://penguincentral.com/penguincentral.html