Exabyte 8200 vs. 8205

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Apr 18 13:06:38 CDT 2008

Ah, no biggie--I have other Exabyte drives that will handle 8205
tapes.  The 8200 that I have isn't a bare drive--it's in a
"Contemporary Cybernetics" external box, complete with linear PSU and
2-line LCD display.  The display seems to be controlled by what looks
to be an 8051 connected via a 3-wire cable to the drive.  It's
interesting--lets you know, for example, how much tape you have left
as you're writing, how many MB you've written and the current
operation.

However, on the subject of compression and 8200/8500 drives, I found
the following thread on the Sun Managers list from 1992:

http://www.sunmanagers.org/archives/1992/0017.html

which mentions external third-party compression modules for the
Exabytes.  This is the first time I've heard of this--does anyone
know anything about it?  Nothing like being 16 years behind the time.
:)

Cheers,
Chuck