Rescued a Tandy System II

Mr Ian Primus ian_primus at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 23 07:23:03 CDT 2008

--- Martin Scott Goldberg <wgungfu at csd.uwm.edu> wrote:

> Right now, I'm busy soaking the Model 2 dust cover
> that came with it.
> Gross oily substance all over it, but it was over
> the unit all these
> years, so it did its job. ;)

I've found the same thing with some of those TRS-80
dust covers, I had one that came with a Model 3 that
was all oily and gooey. As far as I can tell, it
didn't accumulate that gunk, it created it! I find the
same kind of gunk on old plastic covered wiring in TV
sets. I think it has something to do with the
plasticiser leeching out of the plastic. The only
thing that I have been able to find that will remove
it is tetrachloroethylene (better known as brake parts
cleaner). Dunno what it will do to a dust cover, but
it cleans the goo of old wire in TV's...

-Ian