WTB: Emulex MT-02 controller

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Apr 23 09:54:04 CDT 2008

> Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:30:23 -0500
> From: Jules Richardson

> Sigh.. no. I had it in my head that one of the OMTI 5300 / 5400 boards
> would do it - I checked though and they *are* QIC-02, but the interface is
> only SASI, not SCSI :-(

Or "brain dead" SCSI, in the case of the 7400.  Sigh.  I'm not
turning up anything on the web on QIC-02-to-SCSI bridges.

> Hazy memory says that one vendor did do a QIC-02 - QIC-36 bridge, but
> including one of those *and* a suitable SCSI bridge in whatever you're
> doing might be a bit silly.

I think the QIC-bridges go the other way.  I've got a Wangtek QIC-36-
to-QIC-02 bridge board (QIC-36 is the "basic stupid" interface, while
QIC-02 is the "intelligent buffered" interface).

> It does seem there were a few QIC-02 ISA tape controllers around, though -
> so you'd think that someone must have done a SCSI bridge!

That's mostly because there's nothing much on a QIC-02 ISA tape
controller; just address-decoding logic and DMA and IRQ handshake;
think something on the level of your basic IDE controller.  The
smarts are in the drive.

Ah, well.  Time to look for a nice SCSI QIC drive.  Personally, I
like Tandberg over Wangtek.  Anyone have any other preferences?

Cheers,
Chuck