NeXT MO Dump Offer

Jerome H. Fine jhfinedp3k at compsys.to
Mon Apr 28 22:15:23 CDT 2008

 >Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:

> I have successfully repaired a NeXT MO drive and it is remarkably
> reliable... I have been banging on it solid for a week and it hasn't
> died. Knowing how hard it is to find a working drive, I'd like to
> extend an offer to anyone on the list that has NeXT MO media: I'm
> willing to dump the media so long as you take care of postage both
> ways. I'll send you back a CDROM or DVD with dump, dump.old, tar and
> dd images, and the original media if you want it (I'd be happy to
> hold  on to old media if you don't want it).

Jerome Fine replies:

I use a Sony SMO S-501 MO drive with 5 1/4" media that hold
about 295 MegaBytes on each side for a total of 590 MegaBytes.
I have no idea if these media are the same, but within a few
years, I will likely want to sell most of them all along with
most of the drives.

However, since I now rarely use the media (when DVD media are
4.7 GB or almost 10 times the capacity), I am confident that
I can start to dispose of many of the S-501 media.

Anyone interested?  Are the media for the S-501 and the NeXT
MO drives different?  If they are identical, then there are
a lot of media available (more than 100) for $ 1.00 each
plus postage.

Sincerely yours,

Jerome Fine
--
If you attempted to send a reply and the original e-mail
address has been discontinued due a high volume of junk