segmented memory models

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Aug 1 22:47:02 CDT 2008

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Segin Noname wrote:
> The question is, is the Intel 8086's memory model brain-damaged? IMHO,
> extremely much so.

It is a base and offset set of pointers.  There are other systems that I
much prefer, such as a 32 bit flat addressing scheme, but that would have
required a BIGGER kludge for intel to have kludged it onto their
processors that were built around 16 bit address bus.

There is a long term trade-off between new design elegance v
compatability with the 4 bit predecessors.

You are welcome to pick whatever kind of system that you like. Whether or
not it is "brain-damaged" is an issue of whether it performs as intended,
NOT whether that is yours or my favorite way of doing it.

Base and offset segmentation is NOT my favorite, but it is a valid
possibility for some types of systems.  Saying that it is "brain-damaged"
is on a par with declaring big-endian (or little-endian) to be
"brain-damaged".

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com