Where to find memory ICs?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Aug 7 18:41:28 CDT 2008

On 7 Aug 2008 at 17:28, Jim Leonard wrote:

> Does anyone know of a cheaper way to get DRAM?  $100 just so I can add
> 6MB of RAM to a card doesn't seem right...

Well, you asked.  I posted a "WANT" on the local Freecycle list for
any old 286/386 systems and got a couple of replies.  One of them was
an old Micronics 386/20 system with 8MB of DIPs on the memory boards.

Cost me only the time to go across town and get it.  Got a nice AT-
style clone case to go with it as well as bunch of other stuff.

If I'dve asked for CRT monitors, my inbox would probably be full.
The funny thing is that a friend recently had his house burgled where
the thief took his 17" no-name VGA monitor (left his computer) and a
rusty Buck knife.  His insurance company valued them at $689, so cut
a check over his $500 deductible.  I wondered how the malefactor was
going to fence a monitor that the local recycler charges $10 to take.

Cheers,
Chuck