Who is vintagecomputermuseum?

Jim Battle frustum at pacbell.net
Sun Aug 17 17:54:14 CDT 2008

Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Aug 17, 2008, at 10:20 AM, Steven Hirsch wrote:
>> Just curious if the person who owns this eBay store is a list regular?
>> And, more the the point, do they actually get anyone to pay nearly
>> $500 for an AT&T PC7300?
>
>   I sold one for $300 last summer.  Remember, this whole notion of
> classic computers never being worth any actual money is pretty much
> restricted to this mailing list.

It is amazing to me that everyone reads the same words and comes to such
different understanding of what was said.

I was one of the people who gave Tony D a slightly tart reply to his
hand wringing that he was perhaps the only person who messed with
vintage computers out of a love for their design, vs. doing it for money.

I'd say that overwhelming majority of us on the list mess with old
computers for reasons of nostalgia, for the pleasure of puzzling out how
to make these things work again, and for the sheer joy of learning about
systems that we knew about but never used back in the day.

That is a far different statement than claiming that there are no old
computers worth any money.  In fact, I don't recall anyone making such a
claim.  This is written by someone who primarily is in it for the fun of
learning, but who also sold a Sol system for $1200 on ebay a few years back.