Who is vintagecomputermuseum?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Aug 18 10:31:22 CDT 2008

On Aug 18, 2008, at 5:28 AM, jeff.kaneko at juno.com wrote:
>>> Just curious if the person who owns this eBay store is a list
>>> regular?
>>> And, more the the point, do they actually get anyone to pay nearly
>>> $500 for an AT&T PC7300?
>>
>>   I sold one for $300 last summer.  Remember, this whole notion of
>> classic computers never being worth any actual money is pretty much
>> restricted to this mailing list.
>
> Yeah, and I guess the whole notion of the classic computers hobby
> being a level playing field was also restricted to this list.
> Ooops, I guess not even that is true anymore, huh?

   Does anyone seriously believe that there's ANY hobby that's always
free?

   And another thing.  I'm flat broke, have had no work for months,
and am weeks away from becoming yet another foreclosure statistic in
America, Inc...and even in that situation, I'm having absolutely no
trouble pursuing the classic computers hobby.  Just last week, with
the help of a list member, I adopted a complete, pristine IBM System/
36 system.  (story and pics coming soon)

   Sure, I could whine that I'm dying to get my hands on a PDP-8/a
(which I am, for personal reasons) but every time they show up on
eBay, they go for more than I can afford to spend.  I just don't
think it makes any sense to wish something was available for free
simply because I want it.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire