Wanted: vacuum tube logic circuits

William Donzelli wdonzelli at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 19:44:43 CDT 2008

>  I have been trying to dig out these sorts of things from the CHM archives
> as I can
>  find them, since there is much less information available on the actual
> implementation
>  details available on how first generation computers were actually built.

It should be noted that during the 1950s, far more tube logic sockets
were in military radar installations than in data processing machines.
The military tech manuals, which turn up from time to time, tend to be
very good at describing the circuits.

> They were often
>  very careful to minimize the number of active devices, since tubes are big
> and consume
>  lots of power.

I would bet the power issue was magnitudes more important than the
size issue. Back then, big was normal.

(one of my) Pet Peeve - when people use some big ass Compactron sweep
tube to represent a typical computer tube. Cripes!

--
Will