Ring vs BCD counters for decades

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Sat Aug 30 18:57:59 CDT 2008

William Donzelli wrote:
> Ranging. For fire control, very accurate ranging is very important, as
> it is one of the biggest variables in ballistics equations. Getting
> accurate range data out of the radars was thus extremely important, so
> the range circuits were very precise, and often employed dividers and
> flip flops and such to generate cursor information on the scopes for
> the operators.

Interesting, I didn't know they had gotten that complex with the WWII stuff.
Offhand I would have thought they would have used capacitor / pulse-interval
integration techniques for such calculations in that era rather than digital
counters. Not accurate enough perhaps.

(I do have a picture somewhere from WWII of my dad on a Wehrmacht anti-aircraft
gun that he said was automatically ranged and targetted by radar.)