MY REPLY - Re: HandyMan for Kaypro

tonym tonym at compusource.net
Sun Aug 31 21:49:47 CDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
>From: Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
>Sent 8/31/2008 10:33:32 PM
>To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts cctalk at classiccmp.org
>Subject: Re: MY REPLY - Re: HandyMan for Kaypro
>
>On Sunday 31 August 2008 18:23, FJGJR1 at aol.com wrote:
> Tony,
>
> You want to check with "Sharkonwheels" who posts on
> _www.vintage-computer.com_ (http://www.vintage-computer.com) . He is very
> knowledgeable on Kaypros "after" 1983.
>

> He uses and has info on Advent products.
>

> I am more involved with the 1982 / 1983 versions and post under GADFRAN.
>
> My website _www.kayprosts.org_ (http://www.kayprosts.org) may give you
> some other productive contacts to explore.
>
> He may also know of HandyMan.
>
> You may want to check just what version of K4 you have. Main large chips
> on main board will help - e.g. U43 and U47, etc.
>
> He will be asking you about them and other aspects.
>
> He is very familiar with the K10's.
>
>I'm not sure of the dates on the stuff I have...
>
>And perhaps you could say anything pertinent about this eprom I seem to have
>sitting on my desk here? Label says "Multi TurboRAM v4.4" with copyright
>dates of 1985, 1988, and "Digtial Arts" on it. I *think* that's for a
>Kaypro, but am not 100% sure of that.
>
>If it's of interest, I have some pretty complete service data on Kaypro 8-bit
>stuff, including the schematics of multiple versions of the power supplies
>used in them, though I'm not sure it was necessarily all of them. I
>remember California DC (?), Astec, and I'm not recalling the others
>offhand, but they're around someplace. _This_ stuff I don't want to sell,
>but I might be persuaded to make some photocopies. :-)

Thanks for the offer. For the most part, I think MOST necessary parts of the Kaypro service manuals
are out there - 1484-d, -e, and -f versions. Can;t hurt to check against what you have, though.

On the EPROM, never heard of THAT one, but I can hunt around in my Pro-Files magazines and see
if any ads pop-up, and any info. I HAVE found ads for the HandyMan, but that's about all!

If you have the ability, dump the EPROM, and I can take a peek.

Is it a 24-pin, or 28-pin EPROM?

Tony