Open source, stand alone, ASCII terminal project

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 18:48:09 CST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
> On 3 Dec 2008 at 12:06, Ethan Dicks wrote:
\>
>> I don't know where Z80s came into this.  The VT-4 uses a 30ish-MIPS
>> microcontroller (to keep up with the demands of squirting out VGA
>> video).   The video is essentially software-generated, keeping the
>> part count way down.  Low part-count == low price.
>
> Ah, I get confused a lot in these threads.  Sort of something like
> the ATMega8 TV terminal, except with a faster dot clock and more RAM?

Something like that, but with the target including close emulation of
VT100/VT220 (successfully runs emacs/vi/EDT, modernish setup menus,
etc.)  A secondary goal is emulation of some common flavor of
graphical terminal ,Tek, etc.  Emphasis on through-hole design, and
small form-factor.

One thing, to answer another question in this thread, is that will
only do 80-char-wide.  The bandwidth of VGA over 640-pixels-wide
exceeds what the CPU and memory can do.

-ethan