Sources for 8b TTL keyboards (Keytronics)

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 9 13:09:45 CST 2008

> Tony Duell wrote:
> > Well, I am not going to write a C compiler from scratch. But certainly
> > for some of the simpler tools I've found it quicker in the past to write
> > my own versions.
> >
> I'm curious as to why one would do that?  Is it really quicker to
> design, implement, test, maintain, support something on your own rather
> than use a pretested application/utility?

Oh yes. Particulalry if the pre-written thing is not pre-tested, and is
as buggy has hell. Or if it doesn't quite do what you want. Or if you
want to use it with/on some odd hardware (that is a particular problem
for me).

Even with open-source stuff it can sometimes be quicker to write from
scratch rather than try to unravel somewhat obfuscated code.

It depends -- a lot -- on what the program is supposed to do. As I said,
I'd not write  a C compiler. But I would weite my own monitor program, or
file conversion utilities, or disassembler, or...