Harvard v. von Neumann

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Dec 12 13:04:12 CST 2008

On 12 Dec 2008 at 11:26, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> According to my reading, the Burroughs B5000 and Manchester Atlas were
> both Harvard architecture machines, and the GE-645 was von Neumann.  Am
> I correct in my interpretation?

On the B5000, one certainly couldn't call the architecture strict
Harvard, I think it'd be a real stretch to call it modified Harvard.
While descriptors differentiated between code and data, these could
be altered under program control. I'd call it more of a protection
mechanism on a von Neumann machine, although that's even an
oversimplification.

Cheers,
Chuck