My return to Classic Cmp - San Diego, software archive, etc.

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Dec 17 13:33:00 CST 2008

On 17 Dec 2008 at 13:59, Paul Koning wrote:

> Before that came out you'd need something else, and a Weston cell is
> certainly a very good way to solve the problem.

Except that you can't draw much current from a Weston cell.  When
used as a reference in a potentiometer, for example, you must first
adjust the output of a dry cell to match the standard cell--and then
use that dry-cell voltage as the bridge reference.  Chart recorders
would periodically recalibrate their reference automatically, but
with manual equipment it was a real bother--and the temptation to
skip the step was strong.

The contents of a Weston cell read like an advertisement for a hazmat
cleanup service--cadmium and mercury.

Cheers,
Chuck