turned-pin headers

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Tue Dec 30 00:50:16 CST 2008

Tony Duell wrote:
>> And if you use turned pin IC sockets, and place them carefully & solder

This raised a question for me.

Lots of folks are asking for simple "adapters" for things like:

* older 24 pin EPROM to 28 pin JEDEC EPROM
* daughtercards for 40 pin CPUs and such

I have some vintage items like this, and as I look at them, it looks
like they use something similar to a machine-pin socket, but each end of
the pin is the same (small diameter.

It looks similar to this:

http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=phoenixent&product_name=HWS2807

But, this one has forks on the top, not a small pin.

Here's the right pin, but it's a 1x header, not a socket:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Machined-Pin-Header-male-40-round-gold-machine-pins_W0QQitemZ160301434584QQcmdZViewItem

I know they are still made, but I have no idea what they are called.
Digikey and Mouser are not helping me find them.  Anyone know what I am
talking about?

Jim