4.3BSD Quasijarus

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 02:38:27 CST 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 9:14 PM, Bob Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:

>  This procedure is for a MicroVAX, though.  You're not going to be able to
> boot directly from magtape on a 11/7xx VAX.

Here's some other notes on the net that are 11/780 specific.

http://www.employees.org/~kirk/page0207.html

Looks like it involves loading some bootstrap images into the
simulator at various stages during the installation process with
simulator commands that I am not familiar with:

Example:

sim> load -o ./tp/copy 0
sim> run 2

sim> load -o ./tp/boot 0
sim> run 2

sim> load -o ./boot43 0
sim> d r10 9
sim> d r11 0
sim> run 2

Where copy and boot were extracted from srcsys.tar on the distribution
tape.  I guess on real hardware you would need to somehow get those
files onto whatever the console media is, however that works.