"CP/M compatible" vs. "MS-DOS Compatible" machines?

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Sat Feb 2 22:13:57 CST 2008

>Subject: Re: "CP/M compatible" vs. "MS-DOS Compatible" machines?
>   From: Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com>
>   Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 17:25:27 -0800 (PST)
>     To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
>
>> > I asked Gary Kildall, "Now that most commercial machines are going to
>> > 5.25 inch disks, what is the STANDARD format for 5.25?"
>> > He answered, "8 inch single sided single density."
>
>On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
>> Can you do that on a 5.25" disk?  What is that,  77 tracks,  I forget how many
>> sectors...

26

>IF your disk controller is "cooperative".  The "1.2M" drive is almost the
>same as an 8" drive. 'course, his remark was during the days of 48 tpi 35
>track 5.25", . . .

Therein lies the problem.  I'd asked the same question in 78 IE: are you
ever going to consider a different disk format?  No, there ae so many and
none compatable, some too small and a few limited to a specific vendor.

Until there was a viable and better standard 8" SSSD was it.  I think
that standard emerged around 1983 with 360K (40tracks two sides DD)
soft sector and again with 1.44MB 3.5".  Other than those what other
wide spread and not limited to a specific vendor and those two were
standard only for PCs.

Allison