compaq portable plus problems

Tom Peters tpeters at mixcom.com
Sun Feb 3 22:54:06 CST 2008

Disassemble at C800:0CCC and look for a jmp instruction.

-T

At 10:16 AM 2/3/2008 -0800, you wrote:
>When I am using debug to format a HD on an unknown controller, I'll do an
>unassemble at C800:5 and C800:6. The correct address will have a jmp
>instruction.
>
>Besides the HD formatting program on the utilities disk, going *way* back, I
>think Western Digital put out a formatting program WDFMT (?) that would allow
>the formatting of MFM HDs. I think there also might have been some
>PD/shareware
>programs to do the same thing. Assuming the Simtel archives are still
>around, I
>would expect to be able to find these programs there.
>

> > From: Roger Pugh <rogpugh at mac.com>
> >
> > does anyone know the correct incantation to low level format an MFM
> > drive, a rodime 351, driven by a Compaq controller board.
> >
> > I,ve tried with debug G=C800:5 to no avail.  there is no format program
> > there!.

-----
222. [Philosophy] "An assertion is Zen only when it is itself an act and does
not refer to anything that is asserted in it." --(from Bruce Lee's book,
The Tao of Jeet Kune Do)
tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)    WEB: http://www.mixweb.com/tpeters
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User 385531