making backups of IRIX media

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Feb 5 02:28:54 CST 2008

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 02:52:21 -0700
Andrew Warkentin <andreww at datanet.ab.ca> wrote:

> The easiest way to dump them to images would be to use "cat /dev/cdrom
> image.iso" or similar in a shell under Linux.
This will not generate a 100% 1:1 copy. cat(1) or dd(1) will copy some
extra sectors at the end of the media. (Lead out?) I use cdrdao(1) on
unixish systems. It reads the TOC of the CD, copies all tracks of the
CD and records metadata to generate a 100% 1:1 copy later. I made images
(and later copies) of all my IRIX CDs and cdrdao(1) works well. I did
this on an Octane running IRIX 6.5.2something.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen