Varisystems, Compugraphic

Gavon Balharry gavon.balharry at idi-middleware.com
Wed Feb 13 15:27:37 CST 2008

Hi Bill,

I am Gavon Balharry. I was at a customer site in Switzerland, where we
took delivery of a Varisystems 16K system in 1974. In May 1976 we bought
two 32K Varicomposers. I dumped out the program and decoded it (P16
assembler language) - managed to fix various problems it had and
extended the system with some new functionality. Bob Shevlin, who had
created it, and was the only one really able to program it hired me in
September 1996. I worked for 13 months full time for him at Shefra
Graphics out of Slough in the UK. I travelled all over Europe, and even
to NZ, Australia, Singapore, Thailand and Hawaii - customizing systems
wherever I went. I returned to work with Bobst Graphics in USA starting
4th July 1979. There I wrote the Arabic/English or French version. I was
one of three who remained with Bobst Graphics when they closed the
American plant at the end of February 1981. I stayed on with Bobst
Graphics at Mex, near Lausanne in Switzerland. Before long we were taken
over by Autologic from California. I lasted till May 1984, having
written front-end systems for typesetting most of the languages of India
- using the 1200 system, programming in Z80.

I guess I know about as much as anyone could (after Bob Shevlin) about
the system, its programs, and all. I even have quite a library of
program listings. Just that it has been a while ago.

Please contact me, and I can fill you in with whatever details you may need.

Best regards,
Gavon Balharry
Managing director
Information Design Ltd Liab Co