Bubble memory devices

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Wed Feb 20 06:44:53 CST 2008

>Subject: Re: Bubble memory devices
>   From: "Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com>
>   Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:44:53 -0800
>     To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
>
>A bit of curiosity on my part...
>
>If one wanted to replace a whole bubble memory card (i.e. complete
>with support chips and decoders), would MRAM or FRAM be considered a
>suitable substitute?  It'd be one heckuva lot faster and drink less
>power.

Yes and no.  yes you can use ram (or flash) as "disk" but the bubble
system was addressed and generally run like a FDC with a command-status
register and a data register.  To have ram look like that you's need
some controller and/or hardware.  IT would also impact software that
was designed to talk to it.

Bubble was not RAM is was block accessable storage.

>In the same vein, how about MRAM as a core memory substitute?

Yes, it's been done.  I had an 8E with a ram card, It stayed with
the machine when I passed to to someone else.  Also PDP-11s (early)
could ahve ram or core and I ahve a 16k core stack for a Qbus LSI-11.

Allison