RFC: Floppy reader/writer project (recovering UniPlus Unix for the Lisa)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Feb 20 16:10:17 CST 2008

In my humble opinion, what's really needed is a quick and reliable
non-contact method of recovering floppy data.  Perhaps one of the
more modern head technologies, such as GMR might be suitable for a
head that doesn't contact the media.  Or maybe we need to revive the
"magnasee and laser" method.

Increasingly, I'm seeing 5.25" diskettes with media flaking.  There's
no way that I'm going to stick one of those into a standard floppy
drive, even after baking.

It might be that we're starting to approach the "use by" date with
some brands and need to resort to other approaches.

Cheers,
Chuck