VAXstation/MicroVAX 2000 CPU/FPU overheating?

Mon Feb 25 21:59:56 CST 2008

> Odd thing is that everything seems to work - if I place a small fan
> to keep the CPU & FPU cooled to "just hot", it settles back down and
> all seems to work correctly.  All self-tests pass (including FPU).
> It appears it would run indefinately in this state, but it's
> obviously not healthy.  It seems unlikely that there would be an
> internal chip failure that would cause it to eat this much power and
> still perform it's intended function.

Yes, that's why I speculated about fans - perhaps it's designed for
(say) three times the airflow the case is giving it, and the only real
problem is the fan?  It strikes me as unlikely, but no more so than any
other failure mode I've come up with that matches the symptoms.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca