CDC (MPI) floppy drive

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 28 13:26:34 CST 2008

> On Wed, February 27, 2008 3:44 pm, Tony Duell wrote:
> > Does anybody haev a CDC/MPI full height 5.25" floppy drive? No, I am not
> > looking to buy one, I need some information on how it goes together.
>
> The commodore 8050 service manual has a section on MPI full height drives,
> maybe it has some info that can help:
>
> http://www.devili.iki.fi/Computers/Commodore/8050/Service_Manual/contents.html
>
> It's the last section on the page (linkes to pages 34-36)

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have a paper copy of that manual
(acutally a combined 8050/8250 service manaul) with much the same info in it.

Alas there's nothing on the mechanics of the drive. There's a line
drawing of the drive indicating the available spare parts, but the rear
right corner, where hte positioner is, is blank.

Curiously, one of the spares listed is the head carriage. Fitting that is
not at all simple, and yet there are no instrucitons in the manual on
doin it. I wonder if Commodore also supplied manufacturer's manuals for
the drive mechanisms that I don't have...