On interfaces, paper tape readers/punches, and single (small) chip micros

Tom Watson tsw-cc at johana.com
Thu Feb 28 18:58:09 CST 2008

As said before, one can easily get some of the small (8 pin dip) micros to do
magic things, but sometimes (as mentioned) it is a bit more trouble than it is
worth.  Many of us (me!) have stuff in their junk
boxes^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hclassic part archive that will do the task quite
easily.  In my case, I obtained a nice Facit 4070 paper tape punch and made up
a simple interface adapter (it fit inside one of those 2x DB-25 scramble boxes)
to make it function using a PeeCee parallel port.  Now if I desire to punch a
paper tape, all I do is a simple copy to the printer port and ...buzzzz... out
comes the tape.  Thankfully the Facit 4070 had some power available on its
DB-25, but I needed to play around with all the levels (it used 6 volt levels).
 In the end, all it took was a single 74LS00 to do the trick on changing the
strobes to conform.

I suppose I could have used an 8 pin ATMEL chip, but why bother.  Sometimes the
"classic" solution is MUCH easier.

I even built up a character font (5x8) so I could punch titles in the tape.  Of
course, now I need to get the reader functional, but that is another story.

p.s.  If anyone wants details on the interface, contact me off list.

--
Sorry,
No signature at the moment.