HP 7900A /7907/7914R

Jay West jwest at classiccmp.org
Fri Feb 29 08:20:27 CST 2008

> 7908/11//12/14 are HP-IB CS80 discs.
> http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=412

Sorry to be so scarce people... One client just turned into 4 (that client
started 4 new companies), and each one is setting up new offices.... I'm far
worse than swamped.

I believe the first HP-IB drive in that line was the 7906, but it would be
incorrect to make a blanket statement that "7906's were HP-IB".
Specifically, the 7906A, B, C, and D were not HP-IB (they used a 13037
subsystem). The 7906H was strictly HP-IB. It also used a 13037 subsystem,
but a board was added to the 13037 chassis to give it HP-IB capability. I
was fortunate enough to obtain a few 13037's that include the HP-IB option
(as well as a spare HP-IB option board as well).

The differences between the 7906A, B, C, and D were mostly power supply and
EMI/RFI shielding changes I believe. The only difference between a 7906D and
7906H was that you pulled out one (or two, can't remember) boards from the
card cage inside the drive, and put in a microprocessor board instead which
spoke HP-IB. Then of course you had to have the optional HP-IB board inside
the 13037.

As someone else pointed out, 7900A (and 7901) drives were never HP-IB. Just
used a 13210 controller set. I used to have a 7912. It was HP-IB (and I
would ASSume it was HP-IB only). Odd animal.

Jay West