backplane Z80 system /STD bus / was Re: 8/S Replica

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Feb 29 08:46:17 CST 2008

On Feb 29, 2008, at 3:37 AM, Brent Hilpert wrote:
>>    Even two-row 0.1" header pins would probably work well.  That's
>> what I'll most likely use for a backplane-based Z80 system I've been
>> working on for a while.
>
> Would the STD bus not fulfill that requirement/definition?

   No, not in this case...I'm designing what one could call a
"hybrid" of old and new bus techniques.  It carries the standard Z80
address, data, and control buses, but it has such things as out-of-
band board identification capability.  The system will have a
"motherboard" on which the CPU, memory, and console ports reside, and
the bus slots will be for expansion cards.

> (I recently received a SQUID detector data collection instrument,
> must have
> been a one-off production from some physics lab. It was built
> around a little
> 10-slot STD bus backplane and some MOSTEK STD cards (Z80 card,mem
> cards,etc.)
> ca 1981. Except for the RTC clock board with corroded traces from
> leaking
> NiCads it all looks to be re-usable.)

   Wow, that sounds like a fun machine!  Why don't I ever find cool
stuff like that anymore?!

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire