inexpensive prototype boards with 22/44 pin edge connector

Mr Ian Primus ian_primus at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 09:10:10 CST 2008

--- "Roy J. Tellason" <rtellason at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 03 January 2008 23:58, Andrew Lynch
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone know where to get some inexpensive
> prototype boards with the
> > 22/44 pin edge connectors?
> >
> > I am looking for something like DATAK or VELLEMAN
> boards preferably under
> > $10 a piece.
> >
> > I have looked but have not been able to find any.
> Any hints would be much
> > appreciated.
>
> I too would be interested in these.   They used to
> be really common,  and
> could even be found at radio shack for a while,  but
> not these days...
>
> Small prototyping boards in general are of interest
> to me,  with or without
> the edge connector for that matter.

In general, a lot of proto boards seem to be hard to
find cheaply. I typically buy Radio Shack's largest
one with copper ringed holes (it's like 4 1/2 x 6 or
something) and use that for most things. For edge
connectors cheapy, there's a couple of things I've
done. The easiest is to just find a junk PC ISA card
with all the gold fingers present, and cut the bottom
of the board off, leaving space on the edges and top.
A dremel tool is your friend. File away any traces you
don't want, and screw it to the proto board, and run
wires to the fingers. Some ISA cards (AST RAM pack and
 I/O boards, IIRC) have all the fingers as well as a
dual row of through plated holes, one hole for each
finger. All you have to do is cut the bottom of the
board off, clean the solder out of all the holes, and
connect it to your proto board with a dual row header.

Another thing that works, is the "fingers" from old
Macintosh Performa all-in-one computers. They plugged
into the back of the hard drive and CDROM drive, and
had card edge finger connectors to plug into the
wiring harness in the computer. Solder a dual row,
right angle header onto your board, plug in one of
these connectors (trimmed to fit) and glue it to the
board. Not the highest quality fingers, but it works
OK.

-Ian