Can anyone ID this computer from the 80s?

David Griffith dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu
Mon Jan 7 20:07:22 CST 2008

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Mr Ian Primus wrote:

> --- steven stengel <tosteve at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On the right, is it a computer, or just a dumb
> > terminal?
> > There's a printer and possibly floppies in the
> > background, but where do they go?
> >
> > http://oldcomputers.net/temp/1980something.jpg
> >
> > Thanks-
> > Steve.
>
> That's a Xerox 820-II. It's a CPM based computer,
> contained within the monitor enclosure. The floppy
> drive is an external unit. The one I have, the floppy
> drive is enclosed in a box along with a hard drive.
> The external box is about the same size as the
> computer/monitor itself.

That external box appears to be sitting to the right of the monitor, just
behind that weird head-shaped thing.  I'm impressed that it was able to
get so far away from the monitor.  The cable is usually just long enough
for it to sit directly to the side, not kitty-corner like it is in that
picture

--
David Griffith
dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu