Keyboard PS/2 to Parallel converter

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Wed Jan 9 01:59:19 CST 2008

Enrico Lazzerini wrote:

> Jim,
>
> i need just this, I don't care to see the caps lock led turning on or off!!
>
> But the schematic indicated to that link, it appear to be a theoric
> schematic.
>
> I really have not time to testing circuit or verify how it works.
>
> So anybody has an idea of a pratical circuit working?

Yes, the schematic won't work as-is (it's only 10 bits, and PS/2 uses 11
(start, parity, stop, 8 bits) and as Holger notes, it just delivers PS/2
Set 2 scan codes, which are horrid (voice of recent experience)

But, the design I already sent you will do exactly what you wish.  One
Atmel Mega8 (or a Tiny24 would work, though I don't have any here to
test the code).  Is there something else you're looking for?  I modified
the PS2Encoder design on the web site
(http://www.jbrain.com/vicug/gallery/PS2Encoder) to offer a truly
generic one (all data lines come to a 2x13 header, and the PS/2
connector is already on the board.)

I know the design works, as I tested the code before I sent someone on
the list a version for a FlashWriter II KB interface.

> Holger,
>
> it's exactly what i'm looking for. So may you give your help? What PIC to
> use?
>
> I have a PS2 Keyboard and when I press the character A I need to have the
>
> binary code 41H that means 0100 0001B on eight wires plus a strobe line.
>
> Only in this direction. Is it possible?
>
> Thanks
>
> Enrico

Dave's code will work (though you'll need to write some additional 8051
code to do the parallel output, should be trivial.

My code will work, and outputs 41H when a A is sent (Actually, I think
it sends lowercase a, but I can change the mappings in a few minutes if
that's an issue)

Holger is speaking theoretically, without any specific design in mind, I
believe.

Jim