Creating new CP/M disks - Progress on IMSAI

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Sat Jan 12 10:47:08 CST 2008

>Subject: Creating new CP/M disks - Progress on IMSAI
>   From: M H Stein <dm561 at torfree.net>
>   Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 09:14:09 -0500
>     To: "'cctalk at classiccmp.org'" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>

Cannot use that as the HLT parameter is soo short for adaquate spinup time.
You might get away with it though as the FD55GFRs do spinup fast.

The Disk1  Didn't have a direct motor control port like the 1A but it did
allow for using the latch used for serial output to be used as a general
motor on.  Find MotorENA on the schematic.

>    There is a way to control this with software...and I may go that route
>anyway...but has anyone done this sort of thing < used a 5.25² HD drive to
>simulate an 8² drive and if so, which drives did you use?

The DISK1 serial port if not used as boot console is a 1 bit port that
can be controlled with software.  It's in the manual, switch S1-3. The
manual covers all the things for 5.25" floppies.

To do a read or write you set motor enable, wait 1sec then read or write
and reset motor enable.  To minimize starts and stops a timer of 10seconds
or more is desireable.

Its the way I'd do it using the DISK1 and have done it with the DISK1A.

The disk1A has a differnt specific port for that which is part fo the 1 to
1A differences.

Allison